Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Dress Up and Feel Pretty


Have you ever imagined a cute outfit, became excited about wearing it but then decided to save it for a special occasion for fear of looking overdressed on an ordinary day? I have. Countless times, actually. I like the idea of looking pretty on certain days but there have been occasions when I go to school donned in a skirt or dress, I got teased and my friends say "You have a date, don't you?" Uhh, no, I just felt like dressing up.

My mom has also been pestering me for years to go out and wear heels, even if I'll just be going to school, since I'm only 5'4" and in need of some help in the height department. I don't want to look overdressed when I go to school, since I'm known to walk around in flats all the time. I save heels for special occasions. I save dresses and skirts for special occasions. I save certain pretty tops for special occasions. But who ever said that dressing up was reserved for special occasions? Who ever said that looking pretty and cute on ordinary days is wrong?

I recently tweeted something related to the moments I decided to dress up:


And it rendered this reaction:

Apparently, I'm not the only girl who feels the same way. That's why I try to dress up when I can because I dress up according to my mood. When I'm happy or excited, I tend to dress up in a girly manner or come up with any outfit that exudes happiness. When I'm feeling lazy, I choose clothes that I can practically lounge in, without looking like I just got out of bed.

People tend to judge us on how we look and how we carry ourselves so if you don't even bother about your appearance or even present yourself in a pleasant way, what does that say about you? My mom has reprimanded me for sometimes not caring about how I look. I went through a phase wherein I went to school in male cargo pants or went on a lunch and coffee date with my dad in an ugly jeans-and-shirt combo. It's embarrassing to think that my dad would accompany me to the mall and help me find new clothes out of pity for how I looked whenever we met. 

That's why I try to dress up when I can, whenever I feel like it. I strive to look presentable or pretty when I go to school, run an errand, or meet with family and friends. I dress up and make sure what I'm wearing is appropriate and comfortable enough to get me through the things I have to do for the day, be it grocery shopping or a study group session.

So, to the girls who have second-guessed themselves in front of a mirror when trying on a go-to outfit for the day, always remember to feel pretty. Always try your best to express yourself and convey a good message with how you present yourself. Don't be afraid to make fashion mistakes. It happens to everyone and all you have to do is learn from them and move past them. At least, you already know what not to do. Dress up to leave a good impression on everyone you meet, even if it's a stranger or a passer-by. Dress up because you want to.

"The more you dress up, the more you'll have fun." - Brian Molko

No comments:

Post a Comment